35.1 C
Lagos
Friday, February 20, 2026

2027: Peter Obi Will Not Join Dollarised Primaries, Obidients Fire Back at Atiku

Share this:

Supporters of former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi have dismissed ex-Vice President Atiku Abubakar’s vow not to step aside for any aspirant in the 2027 African Democratic Congress (ADC) primaries.

The group, known as the Obidient Movement, described Atiku’s claim as “mind games.”

They argued that Obi’s political style is far removed from the dollar-fueled delegate culture that dominates Nigerian primaries.

Obidients Reject Atiku’s Claim

Speaking with The Punch, Dr. Yunusa Tanko, the group’s national coordinator and Obi’s former campaign spokesman, said Obi’s ideology is different from Nigeria’s transactional politics.

“I’m happy Atiku is saying what is in his mind. It means there’s something we can hold him accountable for,” Tanko said.

READ ALSO:  Popular Nigerian Influencer, Lazywrita, Dies By Suicide (See Suicide Note)

He added, “But Peter Obi is willing to bring a new political ideology into the system. I can say it authoritatively that Obi will never go into a primary election where he has to buy delegates.”

Tanko accused other politicians of treating primaries like an auction. “Delegates are being purchased. It is even in dollars and not naira,” he noted.

Atiku’s BBC Interview Sparks Reactions

Diaspora Digital Media reported that Atiku had told BBC Hausa that he would contest ADC primaries but would accept defeat if a younger aspirant beat him.

He added that his priority was to build the ADC into a strong platform ahead of 2027.

However, the comments quickly drew mixed reactions.

Some critics argued that Atiku should bow out of the race and support a younger politician. Others doubted he could resist the urge to run again.

READ ALSO:  Australia bans social media usage for children below 16

Former Kaduna Central senator, Shehu Sani, mocked the claim. In a post on X, he said, “It’s easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than to beat the Waziri in primaries.”

Following the uproar, Atiku’s media aide, Paul Ibe, issued a statement denying that the former vice president ever promised to step aside.

Ibe insisted Atiku’s words were misinterpreted.

He said Atiku merely emphasized that young aspirants were free to contest and that he would support any candidate who emerged through a fair process.

“Stretching interpretation to the point of mischief is unacceptable,” Ibe said, accusing journalists of twisting the BBC interview.

READ ALSO:  Strike: Passengers stranded nationwide as Arik Air grounded

The ADC, unveiled in July as a coalition against President Bola Tinubu in 2027, has been wooing big names like Obi, Atiku, and former Kaduna governor Nasir El-Rufai.

So far, Obi and El-Rufai have kept their distance, insisting they will not abandon their parties until the time is right.

Obi has said he won’t be stampeded into leaving Labour for the ADC.

The clash between Atiku and the Obidients has further exposed the deep rift within Nigeria’s opposition.

As 2027 draws closer, the battle for control of the ADC may shape whether a united front against Tinubu is possible.

Share this:
RELATED NEWS
- Advertisment -

Latest NEWS

Trending News

Get Notifications from DDM News Yes please No thanks