26.7 C
Lagos
Friday, February 20, 2026

22 killed after two female suicide bombers target Nigerian mosque

Share this:

boko haram attack

Two women disguised as men have blown themselves up at a mosque in north-eastern Nigeria, killing at least 22 people, rescue officials say.

ABOVE PHOTO: The attack took place shortly after worshippers started their early morning prayers, the imam told the BBC

The suicide blasts took place in Molai district in the city of Maiduguri at about 5:30am (local time).

The attack bore all the hallmarks of Boko Haram Islamists, who have regularly hit “soft” civilian targets such as mosques, markets and bus stations, including with female suicide bombers.

READ ALSO:  JUST IN: FG bans admissions for under 18

Borno State Emergency Management Agency spokesman Abdullahi Omar and army spokesman Sani Usman confirmed the blast.

“Sadly, 22 people were killed and 18 others sustained various degrees of injuries,” Mr Usman said in a statement.

A source at the agency added: “This morning just before prayers two women disguised as men came by the mosque.

“One of them went in and joined the first row of the congregation and when the worshippers stood up for the prayers she detonated her explosives, killing several worshippers.

READ ALSO:  PHOTOS: Shettima welcomes Oborevwori, Okowa to APC

“While the others were trying to flee, the second woman who stood outside the mosque rushed in and set off her explosives in their midst.”

The source, who asked for anonymity as he was not authorised to talk to the media, said survivors of the attack and evidence from the rescue operation identified the bombers as women.

Maiduguri, where Boko Haram was formed in 2002, has been relatively calm in recent months as a result of heavy security and a sustained counter-offensive against the militants last year.

READ ALSO:  Bodies of killed policemen found, killers to be prosecuted - IGP fumes

Nigeria has said the rebels, whose insurgency has left at least 17,000 dead since 2009, have been “technically” defeated, despite continued attacks in Borno state and neighbouring Cameroon.

AFP

Share this:
RELATED NEWS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Latest NEWS

Trending News

Get Notifications from DDM News Yes please No thanks