34.9 C
Lagos
Monday, February 16, 2026

Anambra Moves to Recruit Foreign Doctors as Eight-Month Strike Persists

Share this:

The Anambra State Government has concluded plans to recruit medical doctors from South Africa, Ghana, and India following its inability to persuade striking physicians in public hospitals to resume duty after eight months of industrial action.

Sources familiar with the development said the decision was reached during a joint meeting between state authorities and senior officials of the health ministry after negotiations with the aggrieved doctors reportedly failed to produce results.

Officials disclosed last week that the government had exhausted all avenues of dialogue and concluded that recruiting foreign medical personnel remained its only viable option to address the prolonged healthcare vacuum. They expressed concern that the ongoing strike has contributed to a rise in infant mortality, with reports indicating that more than 80 infants have died since the industrial action began in February.

READ ALSO:  New norovirus alert: UK order 2 days stay-at-home

An insider also revealed that the state intends to settle outstanding salary arrears owed to the striking doctors before proceeding with the foreign recruitment initiative, a move interpreted as part of efforts to formally disengage the protesting workforce.

Responding to the development, Dr. Anyaso, an executive member of the Nigerian Medical Association, confirmed that the union had been informed of the government’s plan about two months ago and said members were unfazed by the announcement.

“We remain resolute on our stand. We are waiting to see them act on their resolution,” he said, questioning the financial implications of paying foreign doctors in hard currency. He added that the association would soon unveil an alternative course of action, noting that if local doctors were paid even half of what foreign recruits might earn, the strike could be resolved.

READ ALSO:  Committing The Elderly To Caregivers: A Risk Worth Taking?

Doctors employed in state-owned hospitals have remained off duty since February, citing the non-implementation of the consolidated medical salary structure already adopted by several other states as the primary cause of the dispute.

Share this:
RELATED NEWS
- Advertisment -

Latest NEWS

Trending News

Get Notifications from DDM News Yes please No thanks