Buhari disappoints again, fails to release names of looters

Buhari disappoints again, fails to release names of looters

Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari, has again disappointed many citizens who had expected to hear the names of those that looted the country. 

Buhari had said  he will on May 29 speak on the recovered stolen funds from persons that had been indicted in the fight against corruption. 

The report was expected to be part of his speech on that day recognised as Nigeria’s Democracy Day.

In an interview with Channels Television in the UK, where he took part in the London Anti-Corruption Summit, President Buhari said: “So far, what has come out, what has been recovered, in whatever currency, from which ministry, department and individuals, I intend on the 29th to speak on this because all that Nigerians are getting to know are from the newspapers, radio and television.

READ ALSO:  US deportations surge: 270,000 Migrants removed over past Year

“We want to make a comprehensive report by May 29”.

On whether the names of the corrupt government officials or those indicted would be published, he said it would eventually be done.

“We want to successfully prosecute them. But you know you can’t go to the court unless you have the documents to do your prosecutions – where some of these people sign for these monies, send it to their personal bank acc

“Their banks gave a statement that the money is there when it came how much of it available and so on”.he told Channels Television’s correspondent, Chukwuma Onuekwusi.

READ ALSO:  Hardship: I won't downsize my cabinet --- Tinubu

But today Buhar only said in his broadcast to the nation today:

We are also engaged in making recoveries of stolen assets some of which are in different jurisdictions. The processes of recovery can be tedious and time consuming, but today I can confirm that thus far: significant amount of assets have been recovered. A considerable portion of these are at different stages of recovery. Full details of the status and categories of the assets will now be published by the Ministry of Information and updated periodically. When forfeiture formalities are completed these monies will be credited to the treasury and be openly and transparently used in funding developmental projects and the public will be informed.”

Share this:
RELATED NEWS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Latest NEWS

Trending News

Get Notifications from DDM News Yes please No thanks