35.1 C
Lagos
Friday, February 20, 2026

ICPC raids Abuja home of El-Rufai as DSS announces date for his arraignment

Share this:

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has searched the Abuja residence of former Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, as part of ongoing investigations into alleged financial improprieties.

El-Rufai was taken into ICPC custody after being released on bail by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), following his appearance at the anti-graft agency on Monday.

In a statement issued Wednesday, the ICPC’s Head of Media and Public Communications, Mr. J. Okor Odey, confirmed that the former governor was in the commission’s custody.

“The Commission wishes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai, the former Governor of Kaduna State, is in our custody as at the close of work today, Wednesday, the 18th day of February, 2026,” the statement read.

“He is in the custody of the Commission in connection with ongoing investigations.”

While the commission did not disclose details of the investigation, it assured the public that further updates would be provided in line with its mandate and established procedures.

READ ALSO:  2027 Elections Between Nigerians And APC — Dino Melaye

On Thursday night, El-Rufai’s spokesman, Muyiwa Adekeye, announced that the former governor’s residence on Aso Drive had been searched by ICPC operatives.

While confirming the development, El-Rufai’s lawyer, Ubong Akpan, described the search as unlawful and a violation of due process and fundamental rights.

The controversy follows a recommendation by the Kaduna State House of Assembly for an investigation into El-Rufai over allegations of misappropriation amounting to ₦432 billion—claims the former governor has consistently denied.

Meanwhile, the Department of State Services (DSS) is set to arraign former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over allegations bordering on cybercrime and threats to national security.

The arraignment date was fixed by Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court (FHC) after the Chief Judge of the court, Justice John Tsoho, reassigned the matter to her.

Earlier, the DSS on Monday filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai, accusing him of involvement in the unlawful interception of telephone communications belonging to the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

READ ALSO:  Boko Haram terrorists ambush troops, kill 5 soldiers, 4 others

The charge, brought by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

According to the DSS, El-Rufai allegedly contravened provisions of the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003).

Court documents allege that on February 13, while featuring as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, El-Rufai admitted during the live interview that he and others unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The alleged offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In the second count, prosecutors allege that during the same February 13 appearance on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, the former governor stated that he knew and related with an individual who unlawfully intercepted the NSA’s phone communications, but failed to report the matter to appropriate security agencies.

This allegation is said to contravene Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

READ ALSO:  Customs begins 2025 recruitment exercise

The third count accuses El-Rufai and others said to be at large of using technical devices or systems in Abuja sometime in 2026 to compromise public safety and national security, allegedly creating reasonable fear among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

The DSS maintained that the act, which it said the former governor admitted to during the February 13 Arise TV interview, “and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

Diaspora Digital Media reported that during the live television interview, El-Rufai claimed he overheard Mr Ribadu directing security operatives to arrest him.

He linked the alleged directive to what he described as an attempted arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on February 12 upon his return from Cairo, Egypt.

The former governor was earlier detained on Monday by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over separate corruption allegations.

 

Share this:
RELATED NEWS
- Advertisment -

Latest NEWS

Trending News

Get Notifications from DDM News Yes please No thanks