Iran says it earned $18bn from oil sales during war, ceasefire

Share this:

The Iranian government has announced that it generated $18 billion in oil revenue during its recent conflict with the United States and the brief ceasefire that followed, despite earlier claims that its exports had been halted.

In a statement released on Saturday, Iran’s Oil Ministry said the country earned $11.5 billion from oil sales while the war was ongoing and another $6.5 billion during the ceasefire, which eventually collapsed earlier this month.

According to the ministry, the total revenue represents more than 60 per cent of the oil income projected in the country’s annual budget, describing the achievement as significant given the challenging wartime conditions.

READ ALSO:  ‘Gate of Hell’ Will Open on Gaza'– Israeli Defence Issues Finally Warning to Hamas

The announcement, however, appears to contradict remarks made in late June by Iran’s Parliament Speaker and chief negotiator, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, who said the US blockade of Iranian ports had prevented the country from exporting any oil.

It could be recalled that the conflict began after US and Israeli forces launched strikes on Iran on February 28, triggering retaliatory attacks by Tehran against American allies across the region.

Although a ceasefire reached in April temporarily reduced hostilities, fighting resumed earlier this month as tensions escalated over control of the strategically important Strait of Hormuz, a vital global shipping route.

Share this:
RELATED NEWS
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -spot_img

Latest NEWS

Trending News