US Denies Entry to African Referee Ahead of World Cup

Share this:

The United States has denied entry to Somali referee Omar Artan, one of FIFA’s selected officials for the 2026 World Cup, triggering fresh debate over the impact of US immigration policies on the global tournament.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) confirmed on Monday that Artan was refused entry after arriving in South Florida over the weekend.

A DHS spokesperson said Artan was found to be “inadmissible due to vetting concerns” but did not provide further details about the decision.

Artan, widely regarded as one of Africa’s leading football referees, had been set to make history as the first Somali official to oversee a World Cup match.

READ ALSO:  Nigeria Police Force launches insurance company

His arrival in the US suggests he had already obtained a valid visa before travelling.

The incident comes as Somalia remains on President Donald Trump’s travel ban list and adds to growing concerns about how US immigration restrictions could affect participants in the World Cup, which is being co-hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico.

The controversy follows other visa-related challenges involving international teams. Iran’s national squad, for example, has reportedly been forced to base itself in Mexico because of difficulties obtaining US entry approvals.

While players are expected to enter the US for matches, some team staff members have been denied visas.

READ ALSO:  US Military Officially Ends Naval Blockade of Iran

Immigration enforcement around tournament venues has also become a growing concern. New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani criticized plans to increase Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) operations during the competition, arguing that immigrants play a vital role in the sport and in the success of the World Cup.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) also condemned the decision to deny Artan entry. The group’s deputy director, Edward Ahmed Mitchell, said nationality alone should not be grounds for excluding someone who has already completed the required screening process.

READ ALSO:  EFCC Chairman Reelected to Lead Anti-Corruption Efforts in West Africa

FIFA has not publicly commented on the matter.

Earlier this year, Artan spoke about the challenges he faced while pursuing a career in football officiating in Somalia, a country that has endured decades of conflict and instability. He described earning a place at the World Cup as a personal milestone achieved through persistence and determination.

“You have to continue, and you have to fight if you want to go to a place like the World Cup,” he said.

The decision to block his entry is likely to intensify scrutiny of US travel policies as the world’s biggest football tournament gets underway.

Share this:
RELATED NEWS
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -spot_img

Latest NEWS

Trending News