31.7 C
Lagos
Friday, February 20, 2026

Over 30 Killed in Fresh Bandit Attack on Zamfara Community

Share this:

(DDM) – At least 30 people have reportedly been killed in a fresh attack by gunmen suspected to be bandits in Dutsin Dan Ajiya village, Anka Local Government Area of Zamfara State.

Residents told Sahara Reporters that the attackers stormed the community on motorbikes on Thursday night after blocking entry and exit points. The gunmen allegedly opened fire indiscriminately and attacked homes for several hours without resistance.

According to a resident, about 30 bodies were recovered following the assault, while many others sustained injuries. Several residents were also reportedly abducted during the raid, and some community members remained unaccounted for as of Friday morning.

READ ALSO:  BREAKING: Soldiers on the run as gunmen attack Ukworji checkpoint along Owerri-Onitsha road

“The attack resulted in the death of at least 30 residents, both men and women. Many were wounded, and several others were abducted during the raid,” the source said.

Zamfara and other states in Nigeria’s North-West region have faced persistent insecurity linked to armed banditry, including killings, kidnappings for ransom, and the destruction of property. Despite ongoing security operations, communities in rural areas continue to report frequent attacks.

The latest incident follows a series of similar assaults across the state. Earlier in February, residents of Kyaram community in Bukkuyyum Local Government Area were ambushed while returning from a local market, resulting in multiple fatalities and missing persons. In another reported case in January 2025, attackers allegedly killed four residents in Gwargwaba village in Bungudu Local Government Area and set several houses ablaze.

READ ALSO:  Nigerian drug agency declares ex-beauty queen wanted over drugs

The continuing violence has triggered public protests in parts of the state. In July 2025, residents from more than 30 communities in Gusau Local Government Area staged demonstrations to express frustration over what they described as relentless killings and abductions. Protesters said ongoing insecurity had disrupted farming activities and worsened humanitarian conditions, particularly during the rainy season.

Meanwhile, scrutiny has also been directed at state budget allocations. Reports indicate that the 2026 Zamfara State budget includes provisions for cemetery construction under the Ministry of Religious Affairs. Previous budget reviews have also highlighted allocations for vehicle purchases, drawing public debate amid the persistent security crisis.

READ ALSO:  FG Deploys 130,000 Armed Forest Guards to Combat Bandits, Kidnappers — NSA Ribadu

Authorities have yet to release an official statement on the latest attack. Security analysts note that addressing the crisis will require sustained efforts, including strengthened rural security presence, intelligence gathering, and community engagement to curb the cycle of violence affecting the region.

Share this:
RELATED NEWS
- Advertisment -

Latest NEWS

Trending News

Get Notifications from DDM News Yes please No thanks