South Africa’s anti-immigration group, March and March, has issued a fresh September 30 deadline for undocumented foreigners to leave the country.
The group announced the deadline on Monday during a protest held outside the Southern African Development Community summit in Durban.
March and March protesters marched through parts of central Durban under the theme, “It’s time to fetch your people,” calling on African leaders attending the 46th SADC Summit to take back their citizens living in South Africa without legal documentation.
The group had earlier organised nationwide protests on June 30, demanding tougher action against undocumented immigrants and warning that it would sustain its campaign until the government addressed its concerns.
Announcing the latest action, the group said it was launching the second phase of its June 30 protest, warning of a bigger demonstration ahead of the September deadline.
“We are announcing the second wave of the 30 June National Day of Action and calling on the heads of state to prepare for the massive deportation of all illegal foreigners from South Africa by 30 September, which will be the mother of all protests,” the group said.
It also called on South Africans to support law enforcement efforts against undocumented immigrants.
“South Africans must follow the law and remain the eyes and ears of the police against any illegal foreigners in the country,” it added.
The 46th Ordinary SADC Summit of Heads of State and Government is being held in Durban, with leaders from the regional bloc’s 16 member states in attendance.
The protest comes amid renewed concerns over xenophobia and the treatment of foreign nationals in South Africa.
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa recently condemned discrimination and violence against citizens of other African countries, saying such treatment was inconsistent with the country’s position on regional integration.
“We are deeply ashamed that people from other countries have suffered ill-treatment and that others have been forced to leave the country because of threats of violence,” Ramaphosa said.
He added, “We cannot preach integration at a summit like this and practise exclusion on the streets of our countries.”
The June 30 protests were followed by security operations, with police also reporting incidents of attacks and looting in some areas.
March and March has continued to push for stricter enforcement of South Africa’s immigration laws, particularly against undocumented foreigners.
The group’s latest protest has brought the immigration issue directly to the doorstep of the SADC summit, where leaders from several countries whose citizens live and work in South Africa are meeting.



