28 C
Lagos
Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Heavy Security as Nnamdi Kanu Moved to Sokoto Prison

Share this:

Security has been dramatically tightened at the Sokoto Custodial Centre following the transfer of the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, to the facility.

Kanu was sentenced to life imprisonment on Thursday after Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court in Abuja found him guilty of terrorism-related charges.

The judge further directed that he be relocated to a “protective prison,” ruling that the Kuje Custodial Centre was no longer secure due to previous attacks and jailbreaks.

READ ALSO:  From Warri to Warsaw: Emmanuel Olisadebe, First African To Play For Poland

Unusual Security Deployment in Sokoto

On Friday, Kanu’s lawyer, Aloy Ejimakor, confirmed that his client had been moved to Sokoto a decision he criticised, saying it places Kanu far from his legal team, family members and supporters.

He called on Ndigbo to remain calm and avoid tension.

Although officials of the Sokoto Custodial Centre declined to confirm his arrival, Saturday PUNCH observed a heavy security build-up around the perimeter.

Armed personnel were stationed at multiple points, and a truckload of soldiers drove into the facility  a development residents described as highly unusual.

READ ALSO:  Osinbajo is a patriotic Nigerian, says Northern Governors Forum

A resident who requested anonymity said, “We saw soldiers entering in trucks this evening. The security here has never been this tight.”

Correctional Service Speaks, Family Confirms Transfer

The spokesperson for the Nigerian Correctional Service, Jane Osuji, confirmed that Kanu was still in their custody but refused to reveal his exact location, citing security risks.

Kanu’s wife, Uchechi Okwu-Kanu, later announced on her X page that her husband had indeed been relocated to the Sokoto prison.

She expressed displeasure that the news reached the public before she was officially informed.

READ ALSO:  BREAKING: Army shooting range bullets hit two in Ibadan

Activist and publisher Omoyele Sowore also criticised the Federal Government, alleging that the transfer was carried out “secretly” and warning that the move could expose Kanu to potential danger

Share this:
RELATED NEWS
- Advertisment -

Latest NEWS

Trending News

Get Notifications from DDM News Yes please No thanks