(DDM) – The Department of State Services (DSS) has filed a three-count criminal charge against former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, over alleged cybercrime offences and breach of national security.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria, El-Rufai is scheduled to be arraigned on February 25 before the Federal High Court in Abuja. Justice Joyce Abdulmalik fixed the date after the Chief Judge of the court, Justice John Tsoho, assigned the matter to her.
The charge, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, was instituted by the DSS, Nigeria’s secret police. Court documents indicate that the agency accused the former governor of unlawfully intercepting the telephone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
According to the DSS, El-Rufai allegedly admitted during an appearance on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja on February 13 that he and his associates intercepted the NSA’s communications. The offence is said to contravene Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
In the second count, the security agency alleged that El-Rufai acknowledged knowing an individual who unlawfully intercepted the NSA’s communications but failed to report the matter to relevant authorities. This charge is reportedly punishable under Section 27(b) of the same Act.
The third count accuses El-Rufai and others said to be at large of using technical equipment or systems in Abuja in 2026 to compromise public safety and national security by unlawfully intercepting communications. The DSS stated that this alleged act violates Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
During the Arise TV interview referenced in the charges, El-Rufai claimed he overheard Ribadu directing security operatives to detain him. He linked the alleged directive to what he described as an attempted arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on February 12 upon his return from Cairo, Egypt.
The arraignment follows a series of legal challenges for the former governor. He was previously detained by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over alleged corruption. Although he was granted administrative bail on Wednesday evening, reports indicated that he was subsequently taken into custody by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).
Confirming his custody, ICPC spokesperson John Odey stated that El-Rufai is being held in connection with ongoing investigations. The case is expected to attract significant public attention as proceedings begin at the Federal High Court.


