31.3 C
Lagos
Tuesday, February 17, 2026

President Faye’s efforts to heal ECOWAS fails.

Share this:

Senegalese President Bassirou Diomaye Faye said on Friday, April 4, 2025, that he had “done everything possible” to reunite the three junta-led countries with ECOWAS.

Faye lamented that his efforts to bring Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger back into west Africa’s ECOWAS regional group, have been to no avail.

The three Sahel countries quit the Economic Community of West African States at the beginning of the year.

They accused the bloc of being subservient to France and failing in the fight against jihadism.

READ ALSO:  ECOWAS heads meeting starts in Abuja as Tinubu’s tenure ends

The breakaway countries have formed their own Alliance of Sahel States (AES).

Thus, they turned away from former colonial power France and pivoting towards Russia.

In July last year, Faye was appointed by ECOWAS as a mediator towards the three Sahel countries now led by juntas which seized power in recent coups.

Faye told local media during a marathon four-hour interview:

“I pleaded for people to come together around a table and talk, to preserve the chances of maintaining a strong subregional organisation.

READ ALSO:  Malian authorities cut ties with Ukraine over Wagner ambush intel

“But the fact remains that these countries, like others, are sovereign. They are free to make their own choices.

“All we owe them is to respect their will, knowing that we have done everything possible to reintegrate them into ECOWAS,” he said.

As for the new relationship between Senegal and former colonial power, France, Faye insisted that Paris “remains an important partner for Senegal on all levels”.

Senegal is negotiating the departure of French troops from its territory by the end of this year.

READ ALSO:  NACS Meeting: Govt urges enhanced anti-corruption efforts

Faye further said:

“It happens that at a certain point in its history, a country decides to redirect its trajectory.

“And that’s what happened with the French militarypresence in the country.”

Last month, several facilities used by the French army in Dakar were returned to Senegal, the first to be transferred as part of the withdrawal.

Share this:
RELATED NEWS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Latest NEWS

Trending News

Get Notifications from DDM News Yes please No thanks