Strait of Hormuz will remain close until US meet Interim deal conditions, Iran declares

Share this:

Iran says the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the United States meets conditions contained in an interim agreement reached between the two countries in June.

Iran’s top negotiator, Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, made the statement on Tuesday in comments published by Iranian state media.

He said the conditions include the lifting of the US blockade of Iranian ports and oil sanctions, the release of Iran’s frozen assets, and an end to US threats and military operations against the country.

READ ALSO:  South Carolina Republican arrested for possessing and distributing child sexual abuse material

The June 17 memorandum of understanding between Iran and the US was intended to pave the way for negotiations towards a broader agreement, including issues surrounding Iran’s nuclear programme.

However, the agreement quickly broke down over disagreements concerning control of the Strait of Hormuz, a key global shipping route through which about one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas previously passed before the war.

US President Donald Trump declared the agreement “over” on July 7, while Iran’s Foreign Ministry later said it had been suspended.

READ ALSO:  Court Fines 21 Foreign Hackers, Orders Immediate Deportation

Under the memorandum, both countries had agreed to negotiate a final deal within 60 days, with the possibility of extending the period by mutual agreement.

The latest development comes a day after a senior Iranian official told Reuters that Tehran would shift to a “fully offensive” posture if Washington failed to honour the agreement within weeks.

The continued closure of the Strait of Hormuz has raised concerns over global energy supplies and the wider economic impact of the conflict.

Share this:
RELATED NEWS
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -spot_img

Latest NEWS

Trending News