30 C
Lagos
Thursday, May 21, 2026

UK Eases Russian Fuel Sanctions Amid Mideast Crisis

Share this:

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer has defended his government’s decision to temporarily ease some sanctions on Russian fuel imports, saying the move is necessary to protect consumers as the Middle East conflict continues to drive up global energy prices.

Under the new trade licences, the UK will allow imports of Russian crude oil that has been refined in third countries such as India.

The government has also relaxed restrictions on liquefied natural gas linked to certain Russian facilities.

The licences, described by officials as temporary measures, come as oil prices remain elevated following disruptions caused by the ongoing conflict involving Iran and the Strait of Hormuz.

READ ALSO:  Silent killer in sokoto: Government slow to act as heavy metal poisoning spreads

Starmer insisted the UK was not backing away from its sanctions policy against Russia.

“This is not about lifting sanctions,” he said, adding that the government was introducing “targeted short-term licences” to help ease pressure on households and businesses while new restrictions are phased in.

The decision, however, has triggered criticism from opposition figures. Conservative leader Kemi Badenoch accused the government of indirectly funding Russia’s war effort in Ukraine by allowing Russian-linked oil back into the supply chain.

Britain had announced plans last year to ban imports derived from Russian crude, part of a wider sanctions campaign launched after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in 2022.

READ ALSO:  Tokyo 2020 Olympic Basketball tournaments draw set for Feb. 2

Since then, the UK has imposed sweeping measures targeting Russian energy exports, companies and individuals.

The latest easing follows a similar move by the United States, which recently extended a waiver allowing some Russian oil shipments already at sea to continue moving amid growing fears over global supply shortages.

The European Union has voiced concern over the move, warning that now is not the time to reduce pressure on Moscow.

UK Treasury minister Dan Tomlinson defended the decision, saying the government was acting in the country’s national interest as the conflict in the Middle East continues to disrupt energy markets.

READ ALSO:  Russia and Ukraine accuse each other of failing to pause strikes

Trade minister Chris Bryant later admitted the government had handled the announcement poorly and said officials wanted the licences to remain in place for as short a time as possible.

Oil prices have surged since Iran moved to restrict access through the Strait of Hormuz earlier this year in response to U.S.-Israeli strikes. Although shipping activity through the waterway has slowly resumed during the ceasefire, Brent crude remains near $110 per barrel well above levels seen before the conflict began.

Share this:
RELATED NEWS
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -spot_img

Latest NEWS

Trending News