28.6 C
Lagos
Friday, May 22, 2026

US, Iran exchange draft proposals as peace talks gain momentum

Share this:

Diplomatic efforts to end the Iran conflict appear to be picking up pace, with Tehran and Washington now exchanging draft proposals through mediators as both sides search for a possible path out of the crisis.

Iranian media reported that negotiators are working on the outline of a formal agreement, while Pakistani officials have stepped up behind-the-scenes mediation in Tehran to keep talks moving.

There are signs of cautious optimism, though tensions remain high.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiators were seeing “some good signs” during discussions, but warned there was still no guarantee a deal would be reached anytime soon.

President Donald Trump also renewed pressure on Tehran, warning the United States could take “very drastic” action if Iran refuses to surrender its enriched uranium stockpile.

READ ALSO:  Birnin-Gwari union blasts El-Rufai, says ‘killed terrorists were mercenaries from Sudan’

Even as diplomacy continues, the war’s human cost keeps growing.

Iran accused both the United States and Israel of committing a “war crime” after strikes hit the Pasteur Institute of Iran earlier in the conflict.

Medical journal The Lancet said the attack badly damaged one of the country’s most important public health centres.

The Iranian Red Crescent said rescue teams have pulled more than 7,200 people from collapsed buildings since the fighting began, releasing footage of survivors being carried from the rubble for the first time.

Analysts say the biggest obstacle remains the dispute over Iran’s nuclear programme.

Doug Bandow of the Cato Institute said both countries would need to soften their “red lines” if negotiations are going to succeed.

According to him, neither side is likely to secure everything it wants, making compromise unavoidable if they hope to prevent another escalation.

READ ALSO:  No son or daughter of Yoruba land should be harassed for wearing Yoruba Nation outfits by the DSS or any security personnel - Sunday Igboho

Meanwhile, the US military continues to maintain a heavy presence in the region.

CENTCOM said the USS Abraham Lincoln strike group remains on high alert in the Arabian Sea, releasing images of fighter jets launching from the carrier as pressure on Tehran continues.

Reports also suggest the conflict is becoming increasingly costly for Washington.

Bloomberg reported that Iran has shot down more than two dozen MQ-9 Reaper drones since the war began losses estimated at around $1 billion.

The strain of the conflict is also affecting US military planning elsewhere. Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao told lawmakers that Washington paused a $14 billion arms package for Taiwan to ensure enough weapons remain available for operations linked to Iran.

READ ALSO:  NDC pegs presidential form at N60m, releases timetable for 2027 Primaries

Elsewhere in the region, violence continued along the Lebanon-Israel border, where Israeli airstrikes reportedly killed two people after what the military described as suspicious activity near the frontier.

The US also announced sanctions against individuals accused of helping Hezbollah maintain political and security influence inside Lebanon.

At the United Nations, Palestinian envoy Riyad Mansour accused Israel of collectively punishing civilians in Gaza through aid restrictions and continued military attacks, warning the world must not become numb to Palestinian deaths.

Despite the ongoing violence, diplomats involved in the talks insist channels of communication remain open a small but significant sign that both Washington and Tehran may still be searching for a way to step back from a wider regional war.

Share this:
RELATED NEWS
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -spot_img

Latest NEWS

Trending News