27.5 C
Lagos
Monday, February 16, 2026

WATCH: Philip Shaibu’s Reaction to His Impeachment as Edo State Deputy Governor

Share this:

Philip Shaibu has said that his impeachment as the Edo State deputy governor is illegal and a threat to the nation’s democracy.

In a reaction via a video shared on his X account, Shaibu denounced the impeachment.

Watch the Video below:

He said in part, “It is with heavy heart yet a resolute spirit that I come before you to address the recent events that have unfolded within our dear state. I denounce in strongest terms the illegal impeachment by the Edo state house of assembly over trumped-up charges, this is not just an attack on me as an individual but on the very democratic principles that we hold dear.

“It’s a dangerous descent into dictatorship, a threat to the foundation of our democracy. Let it be clear that this impeachment was hatched because of my ambition to contest the Edo Governorship election 2024 under the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).”

READ ALSO:  Civil service crisis: Group warns Tinubu against illegal tenure extensions

Recall the Edo State House of Assembly on Monday impeached the embattled deputy governor, Comrade Philip Shaibu.

The impeachment followed the adoption of the report of the seven-man investigative panel set up by the Assembly to probe allegations of misconduct against Shaibu.

The impeachment proceedings culminated in a dramatic vote that saw Shaibu ousted from his position. The proceedings were initiated earlier this week.

Background

Recall Vanguard had earlier, on Thursday, reported how the seven-man panel investigating allegations of constitutional breaches against the Edo State deputy governor, Philip Shaibu on Friday concluded its sitting without Shaibu or his counsel appearing.

READ ALSO:  Football remains number one sport in Nigeria - Buhari

The panel forwarded its report to the Chief Judge of the State, Justice Daniel Okungbowa.

The seven-man panel headed by Justine Stephen A. Omonuwa (Rtd) had, on Thursday, ruled that it would adjourn for the last time on Friday. This was to give the respondent, Shaibu, time to defend himself over the allegations levelled against him.

Thursday’s ruling by the panel was a sequel to the absence of Shaibu and his counsel when the panel sat on Thursday.

At the panel’s inaugural sitting on Wednesday, Shaibu was represented by Professor Oladoyin Awoyale (SAN).

He informed the panel that he would not be continuing with the panel’s proceedings on the ground that an Abuja High Court had asked all parties before it, in a case of enforcement of fundamental human rights instituted by him, to come on Monday, April 8, to show cause on why it should or should not grant the reliefs sought.

READ ALSO:  Oborevwori Launches ₦39.3 Billion Ughelli Flyover Construction Project

When the panel overruled the objection, Awoyale (SAN) sought the permission of the panel to excuse himself.

Ruling on the development, the chairman of the panel said “the panel adjourned sitting for the last time for today to allow the respondent to defend himself.

“The panel shall retire to go and write its report as required by the constitution,” Justice Omonuwa (Rtd) ruled.

Share this:
RELATED NEWS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Latest NEWS

Trending News

Get Notifications from DDM News Yes please No thanks