The Anambra State Police Command has arrested the officer captured in a viral video threatening to shoot anyone who recorded him while on duty.
The command confirmed on Thursday that the officer has been identified as Assistant Superintendent of Police Newton Isokpehi, attached to the Anambra State Command, and said disciplinary proceedings have already begun.
The announcement was contained in a statement issued by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Finance and Administration, Ngozi Ezeabata, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, Ikioye Orutugu.
Isokpehi sparked outrage on Wednesday after a video circulated online showing him threatening to “clear everybody down” if anyone filmed him while carrying out his duties.
Speaking in Pidgin English and addressing the camera directly, the officer also threatened bystanders and warned that any superior officer who permitted such filming would be forced to bury the people he vowed to kill.
The clip quickly spread across X and Instagram before it was later removed from his TikTok account. He subsequently released another video apologising and claiming the remarks were made out of frustration.
According to the police command, action was taken immediately after the footage surfaced.
“Following a prompt review of the video, the Command immediately identified and arrested the officer involved. The officer is an Assistant Superintendent of Police, ASP Newton Isokpehi, serving in the Command,” the statement said.
The police added that internal disciplinary procedures had already been activated in line with force regulations and ethical standards.
“In line with the disciplinary standards and ethical code of the Nigeria Police Force, internal disciplinary proceedings have since been activated against the officer,” the statement added.
As part of the investigation, the command said Isokpehi had also undergone a drug test to help determine the circumstances surrounding his conduct.
The Commissioner of Police strongly condemned the officer’s actions, describing them as unacceptable and inconsistent with the standards expected of the force.
“The Nigeria Police Force is a disciplined institution that will not condone misconduct, abuse of office, incitement or any form of unprofessional behaviour capable of undermining public trust and confidence,” the statement read.
The command assured residents that the outcome of the disciplinary process would be made public and promised that any officer found guilty would face sanctions in line with police regulations.
It also reminded officers and men of the command to remain professional, emotionally balanced and respectful while carrying out their duties, especially at a time when public scrutiny of security agencies remains intense.
The police further acknowledged the role played by members of the public and civil society groups in drawing attention to the incident, saying such engagement helps strengthen accountability and improve service delivery.
Residents were encouraged to continue reporting misconduct or actions capable of threatening public peace and confidence in security institutions.




