Anthony Joshua Says Career Trials Have Made Him Stronger Ahead of Prenga Fight

Share this:

 

Former world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua has declared that the setbacks and difficult moments he has endured throughout his boxing career have only strengthened his resolve as he prepares for another important chapter inside the ring.

The British-Nigerian boxing star is set to return to action against Albanian heavyweight Kristian Prenga in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, on July 25, marking another significant moment in a career that has been defined by remarkable triumphs as well as painful disappointments.

Speaking during an interview with DAZN ahead of the contest, Joshua reflected on the obstacles he has overcome over the last decade, insisting that every challenge has contributed to his personal growth and strengthened his determination to compete at the highest level.

According to the 36-year-old, remaining active and continuing to chase world titles after everything he has experienced demonstrates the resilience that has shaped his career. He explained that many athletes would have chosen an easier path after suffering repeated setbacks, but his ambitions remain firmly focused on reclaiming heavyweight supremacy.

Joshua said the hardships he has faced have reminded him of his inner strength, adding that the sacrifices required to become a world champion separate elite fighters from everyone else.

His upcoming bout against Prenga comes exactly ten years after Joshua captured his first world heavyweight title by stopping Charles Martin in the second round in April 2016, a victory that transformed him into one of boxing’s biggest global attractions.

READ ALSO:  João Pedro Fires Seven, Tzolis Leads Assists Before EPL Return

One year later, Joshua delivered one of the most memorable performances of his career when he defeated former champion Wladimir Klitschko before a packed Wembley Stadium. That unforgettable night established him as one of the dominant figures in heavyweight boxing and paved the way for blockbuster contests against some of the division’s biggest names.

Over the years, Joshua has shared the ring with elite opponents including Joseph Parker, Andy Ruiz Jr., Oleksandr Usyk and Daniel Dubois. Those contests produced unforgettable moments, dramatic victories and painful defeats that tested both his physical and mental strength.

Perhaps the biggest shock of his career came in June 2019 when he suffered a stunning knockout defeat to Andy Ruiz Jr. in New York, losing his unified heavyweight titles in one of boxing’s greatest upsets.

Rather than allowing the defeat to define him, Joshua responded six months later with a disciplined tactical display to defeat Ruiz in their rematch and reclaim his championship belts.

Although later defeats to Oleksandr Usyk cost him another opportunity to dominate the heavyweight division, Joshua remained determined to rebuild his career and continue competing among the sport’s elite.

READ ALSO:  Napoli Block Scott McTominay Exit as Premier League and Saudi Interest Rejected, New Contract Talks Underway

His most difficult professional setback arrived in September 2024 when Daniel Dubois produced a dominant knockout victory over him at Wembley Stadium, raising questions about Joshua’s future in boxing.

Instead of walking away from the sport, the former Olympic champion worked his way back, earning a confidence-boosting knockout victory over Jake Paul later that year that restored momentum ahead of another heavyweight campaign.

Away from boxing, Joshua also endured heartbreaking personal tragedy following a road accident in Nigeria that claimed the lives of two of his closest friends. The emotional loss forced him to step away from competition while he recovered physically and mentally before resuming training earlier this year.

Now fully fit again, Joshua believes both his body and mind are prepared for another run at the top of the heavyweight division.

He said time continues to move forward for every athlete, but he remains in excellent physical condition and is completely focused on achieving new success inside the ring.

Joshua enters the Prenga fight with an impressive professional record of 29 victories, four defeats and 26 wins by knockout, making him one of the most accomplished heavyweights of his generation.

READ ALSO:  PHOTO: Nigeria's Para Powerlifting Team Wins Commonwealth Games Medals, Bags ₦27.5 Million in Rewards

His opponent, Kristian Prenga, possesses an intimidating knockout percentage and will be eager to produce the biggest upset of his career by defeating one of boxing’s most recognisable names.

Victory for Joshua would strengthen expectations of a long-awaited all-British showdown against Tyson Fury later this year, a contest boxing fans have demanded for several years.

Promoters have repeatedly hinted that negotiations for the blockbuster clash are progressing, with both fighters expected to meet if they successfully navigate their upcoming assignments.

For Joshua, however, the immediate focus remains on delivering an impressive performance against Prenga before thinking about future opportunities.

His latest comments reveal a fighter whose motivation extends beyond titles and financial rewards. Instead, Joshua appears determined to prove that resilience, discipline and perseverance remain the defining qualities of his career.

As he approaches another pivotal fight, the former unified heavyweight champion believes every setback has prepared him for what lies ahead. Whether he succeeds in reclaiming boxing’s biggest prizes remains to be seen, but Joshua insists the trials he has faced have made him stronger, wiser and more determined than ever to leave a lasting legacy in the sport.

Share this:
RELATED NEWS
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -spot_img

Latest NEWS

Trending News