Hundreds of travellers and motorists were left stranded along the Ilorin–Igbeti Federal Highway in Kwara State after heavy flooding submerged the already collapsed Moro Bridge, worsening transportation challenges and disrupting movement across one of the region’s busiest road corridors.
The incident occurred after prolonged overnight rainfall caused the Moro River to overflow, sending massive floodwaters across the damaged bridge and surrounding sections of the highway. Vehicles were trapped for hours while frightened passengers searched for safety amid the rapidly rising water level.
The affected route serves as a major link between Kwara State and neighbouring Oyo State and remains an important transportation corridor for traders, farmers, commercial drivers, and interstate travellers moving goods and agricultural produce across southwestern and northern Nigeria.

Based on the receiving reports, several commuters were trapped after the flood overtook the collapsed section of the bridge, forcing motorists to suspend movement completely.
Eyewitnesses described scenes of confusion and panic as passengers reportedly climbed onto vehicle roofs to avoid being swept away by the floodwaters. Some travellers were said to have abandoned their vehicles while searching for safer routes around the submerged area.
Residents of nearby communities disclosed that the rainfall began late Sunday night and intensified into the early hours of Monday, causing the river to overflow beyond normal levels. The floodwater eventually covered the failed bridge structure and spread across adjoining parts of the highway.
The Moro Bridge had previously collapsed on April 30, 2026, after a heavy-duty truck reportedly attempted to pass across the aging structure. The collapse immediately disrupted movement along the federal highway and forced authorities to introduce traffic diversions and emergency palliative measures.
The bridge, regarded as one of the key transportation links in Kwara State, connects several communities and commercial routes extending toward Oyo State and parts of the Benin Republic trade corridor.

Residents and transport operators have continued to express frustration over delays in completing alternative road arrangements following the earlier bridge collapse.
Monday’s flooding further exposed the vulnerability of the damaged infrastructure as commuters struggled to navigate the submerged route.
Commercial transport operators said the incident caused severe delays in the movement of passengers and goods, with some vehicles stranded for several hours before floodwaters began to reduce.
A trader travelling from Ogbomoso to Ilorin described the situation as frightening, explaining that many passengers feared their vehicles could be swept away due to the strength of the current.
The disruption has also raised concerns among farmers and food suppliers who rely heavily on the corridor to transport agricultural produce to major markets within Kwara and other southwestern states.

Several transporters warned that the prolonged closure and flooding around the bridge could worsen transportation costs and affect food supply chains in the coming weeks.
The road corridor is widely used for the movement of yam, maize, vegetables, grains, and livestock from farming communities across Kwara, Oyo, and parts of northern Nigeria.
Residents also questioned why the alternative bridge project located beside the failed structure remains incomplete despite years of construction work.
The collapsed Moro Bridge has reportedly undergone multiple rehabilitation efforts over the years due to structural weaknesses associated with age and increasing traffic pressure.
Infrastructure experts have repeatedly warned about the risks posed by aging bridges and poor drainage systems across many parts of Nigeria, especially during the rainy season.
Flooding incidents have become increasingly common in several states due to blocked waterways, weak drainage infrastructure, and intense seasonal rainfall linked to climate-related environmental changes.
The Kwara State Government had earlier announced that engineers and emergency officials were mobilised to begin temporary repair works and establish diversion routes following the bridge collapse in April.
The Commissioner for Works and Transport, Abdulquawiy Olododo, previously stated that the state government was collaborating with federal authorities to ensure urgent intervention and minimise hardship for road users.
Government officials also disclosed that construction work was ongoing on a new bridge located close to the collapsed structure.
Despite those assurances, many commuters and residents argued that progress at the site has been slow, especially considering the importance of the road to regional commerce and interstate transportation.
Security personnel and emergency responders were reportedly deployed to monitor the flooded area and prevent accidents as stranded travellers awaited safer conditions before continuing their journeys.
Environmental experts have also called for improved flood control measures, stronger bridge maintenance systems, and better drainage planning to prevent recurring infrastructure disasters during the rainy season.
The latest flooding around the Moro Bridge has intensified public concerns about the state of critical infrastructure across Nigeria and the increasing impact of seasonal flooding on transportation networks, economic activities, and public safety.




