25.7 C
Lagos
Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Trump Says ‘Clock is Ticking’ as Iran Peace Talks Stall

Share this:

President Donald Trump has issued a fresh warning to Iran, saying time is running out for Tehran to agree to a peace deal as negotiations remain deadlocked and tensions continue to spread across the Middle East.

In a post on Truth Social on Sunday, Trump warned that Iran could face devastating consequences if talks fail.

“For Iran, the clock is ticking, and they better get moving fast, or there won’t be anything left of them,” he wrote. “Time is of the essence.”

The warning comes as Washington struggles to end a war that erupted after joint U.S. and Israeli strikes on Iran earlier this year. Despite weeks of indirect negotiations mediated by Pakistan, both sides remain far apart on key issues, while a fragile temporary truce continues to show signs of strain.

READ ALSO:  Ukraine Launches Over 500 Drones in Massive Attack on Russia

Fresh drone attacks over the weekend added to concerns that the conflict could widen again.

Saudi Arabia said it intercepted three drones that entered its airspace from Iraq, while the United Arab Emirates confirmed that a drone attack sparked a fire at the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant.

Authorities said the blaze was contained quickly and there was no impact on radiation levels or casualties.

UAE presidential adviser Anwar Gargash condemned the attack, describing it as a dangerous escalation. Though he did not directly name Iran, he blamed either Tehran or one of its regional allies.

Iran-backed armed groups operating in Iraq and Yemen have frequently been accused of launching drone attacks against U.S. allies in the Gulf.

READ ALSO:  No Safe Haven: Israel Strikes Gaza School Shelter

The conflict has also intensified pressure on global energy markets. Iran continues to restrict movement through the Strait of Hormuz one of the world’s most important oil shipping routes while the U.S. maintains pressure on Iranian ports and oil exports.

Fighting involving Hezbollah has further complicated efforts to stabilize the region. The Iran-backed group has continued launching attacks into Israel from Lebanon, prompting Israeli airstrikes and military operations in southern Lebanon despite an existing ceasefire agreement.

According to Lebanese officials, Israeli strikes on Sunday killed five people, including two children. Israeli authorities, meanwhile, said Hezbollah fired around 200 projectiles into Israel over the weekend.

Iranian media reports suggest negotiations with Washington remain stalled. Tehran reportedly rejected a recent U.S. proposal that included demands to scale back Iran’s nuclear program and transfer enriched uranium stockpiles out of the country.

READ ALSO:  Why Labour veteran Peter Mandelson may become UK ambassador to US

State-linked outlets accused Washington of seeking major concessions without offering meaningful compromises in return, including the release of frozen Iranian assets or compensation for damage caused during the war.

Pakistan has continued efforts to mediate between both sides.

On Sunday, Pakistani Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi met in Tehran with Iranian parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf to discuss ongoing negotiations and regional security concerns.

Following the meeting, Ghalibaf argued that recent events had exposed the limits of U.S. influence in the region, saying foreign military presence had failed to bring stability to the Middle East.

Share this:
RELATED NEWS
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -spot_img

Latest NEWS

Trending News