Suspected terrorists who abducted pupils and teachers from communities in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State have reportedly opened communication with the state government, raising cautious hope for the release of the victims.
Sources familiar with the development said that on Saturday the kidnappers declined to negotiate with families, insisting instead on speaking only with the government.
According to one source, the group made it clear that discussions would be limited to state officials, while details of their demands remain closely guarded.
“They said they only want to talk to the governor and nobody else,” the source disclosed, adding that the secrecy surrounding the talks was aimed at protecting the victims.
Although it remains unclear whether Governor Seyi Makinde is directly involved or represented by intermediaries, another source described the communication as a significant breakthrough.
“It is not that security agencies don’t know what to do, but the risks involved are enormous. At least now, there is communication,” the source said.
The abduction, which occurred last Friday in Esinele, Yamota and Alawusa communities, involved pupils and teachers from three schools. Some of the victims are said to be toddlers between two and three years old.
Eight days after the attack, anxiety continues to mount among relatives and residents, particularly as the rainy season worsens conditions in the forests where the captives are believed to be held.
Community sources said the abductees were being moved through thick forests and across state lines to evade security pressure, sparking fears about their welfare.
“We are deeply worried because we don’t know where they are or how they are surviving,” a community leader said. “Children as young as two years old are among them.”
The kidnappings have triggered panic across Ogbomoso and neighbouring communities, leading to a sharp decline in school attendance.
Teachers and residents said many parents had withdrawn their children from both public and private schools, fearing further attacks.
A teacher at Ikose Primary School said the atmosphere changed dramatically after the incident.
“All schools in Ogbomoso became almost empty after the attacks,” she said. “The fear became worse when students at Areago Grammar School mistook hunters in nearby bushes for terrorists and raised an alarm.”
The panic reportedly caused chaos across the area, leading to a tragic road accident in which a student died. Residents said the boy’s mother later collapsed and died after hearing the news.
The teacher added that attendance had remained low since then.
“Many teachers and pupils leave school early because of fear. Some schools barely recorded attendance,” she said.
Parents, she explained, are reluctant to send children to schools located near isolated areas and forest corridors.
Another teacher in Tewure community said several parents informed her their children would stay home until security improved.
“You can hear the fear in their voices,” she said. “Since Monday, attendance has continued to drop.”
Education workers also say the killings of two teachers during the crisis have worsened the psychological impact.
Among the victims was 49-year-old Joel Adesiyan, a former assistant headmaster, who was killed during the attack and buried on Friday in Ogbomoso.
At his funeral service held at Ayegun Baptist Church, family members, colleagues and sympathisers wept openly while demanding justice and the safe return of those still in captivity.
Representing Governor Makinde, Ogbomoso Zone I Permanent Secretary Michael Ojelabi assured mourners that the government was working to rescue the abductees.
“The state government is saddened by this tragedy and is doing everything possible to ensure those still in captivity return safely,” he said.
Oyo State Nigeria Union of Teachers chairman, Fatai Hassan, described Adesiyan as a dedicated educator whose death left a painful gap within the profession.
“His classrooms will miss his voice, and the union will miss his courage,” Hassan said.
The tragedy deepened with the killing of another abducted teacher, Michael Oyedokun, who was reportedly beheaded in captivity.
His family said the educator had spent more than two decades teaching and had recently returned to serve in his hometown after years elsewhere.
A family spokesperson, Ebeni Adediran, described his death as heartbreaking, revealing that Oyedokun died childless despite over a decade of marriage.
“The painful part is that he left no child behind,” Adediran said. “He and his wife tried for years.”
The family also appealed to Nigerians to stop sharing graphic videos and images linked to his killing, saying the circulation was worsening their grief.
Meanwhile, Oyo State Commissioner for Information, Dotun Oyelade, acknowledged growing tension but blamed much of the panic on misinformation spreading online.
He accused some bloggers of circulating misleading videos and rumours that heightened public fear.
“Parents naturally become worried when they hear stories of attacks involving children,” Oyelade said, insisting that the government remained committed to restoring calm and securing schools.
For now, however, fear continues to overshadow classrooms across affected communities as families wait anxiously for news of their loved ones.




