Italian Foreign Minister Cancels US Trip After Trump’s Remarks About Meloni

Share this:

A fresh diplomatic rift has erupted between the United States and Italy after US President Donald Trump made controversial comments about Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni.

Italy’s Foreign Minister, Antonio Tajani, announced on Friday that he was cancelling a planned visit to the United States, where he was expected to meet US Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

The decision followed remarks attributed to Trump during an interview with Italy’s La7 television. According to an Italian translation of the interview, Trump claimed Meloni had “begged” him for a photograph during the recent G7 summit in France.

READ ALSO:  I don’t take pleasure in causing Nigerians pain --- Tinubu

“She wanted a picture with me so badly. I wouldn’t have taken it, but I felt sorry for her,” Trump reportedly said.

The comments triggered a sharp response from Meloni, who described them as entirely false.

In a video posted on social media, the Italian leader said she was shocked by the remarks and questioned why the American president would speak that way about a close ally.

“Donald Trump’s statements are completely fabricated,” she said. “Italy and I never beg.”

Meloni also accused Trump of showing greater leniency towards leaders she described as adversaries of the West than towards long-standing allies.

READ ALSO:  Call your secret security outfit to order, IPOB warns Anambra Governor Soludo

Tajani, meanwhile, condemned the comments as offensive. His planned trip to the US included talks with Rubio and participation in the Italy-US Business, Investment, Science and Innovation Forum in Miami. The forum was later cancelled.

The dispute marks another setback in what was once considered a strong political relationship between Trump and Meloni. The Italian prime minister has often been viewed as one of Trump’s closest allies in Western Europe, sharing similar positions on immigration and national sovereignty.

However, tensions have surfaced in recent months, particularly over Italy’s refusal to take part in military operations linked to the Iran conflict. Earlier this year, Meloni also criticised Trump for his attacks on Pope Leo XIV over the pontiff’s opposition to the war with Iran.

READ ALSO:  Breaking News: Tribunal orders Saraki's arrest

Trump appeared to double down on his criticism during an interview with NBC News on Friday, saying he did not want Meloni as a supporter because she had failed to fully back his position during the Middle East crisis.

The latest exchange comes despite signs of improving relations between Washington and European allies during this week’s G7 summit, highlighting growing strains in transatlantic ties.

Share this:
RELATED NEWS
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -spot_img

Latest NEWS

Trending News